This Sound Absorption Wall lesson plan also includes:
What types of materials absorb sound? Learners explore sound waves, the decibel scale, and how different materials affect sound. Then, they use their knowledge of sound meters to complete a STEM engineering design task to build sound-absorbing walls. Finally, pupils evaluate each other's sound meters to determine which materials absorbed sound the best.
- Extend learning by having scholars test their sound-absorbing walls around the school or at home
- Have groups test each other's designs and offer suggestions for improvement
- Requires materials a typical classroom likely does not have
- Contains many real-life connections to keep it interesting and relevant to students
- Incorporates engineering design practices