This Songs, Sounds and Stories from the Georgia Sea Islands lesson plan also includes:
American music is the result of the influence of many cultures, including the traditions brought by the African slaves. Young scholars study the polyrhythms, the call-and-response format, and the vocal improvisations of the Gullah culture found in much of American music.
- Designed for music classes but adaptable to arts and social studies classes as well
- For middle and high school social studies classes invite a member of the music department to participate in the lesson
- Part of the Smithsonian Folkways series
- Requires extra prep time to gather and prepare the materials, including copies
- Groups required access to a computer with internet
- The richly detailed lesson plan includes step-by-step directions, links to required materials, and a vocabulary list