This Solving Equations lesson plan also includes:
Demonstrate the abstract process of solving equations by using algebra tiles as a concrete representation. Scholars begin by solving equations through the use of manipulatives. As they gain more confidence, they progress to whiteboards and a matching activity. Each activity reinforces the steps of solving equations.
- Have learners write or say the properties they use as they solve the equations
- Create a life-size balance mat and have individuals play the part of the algebra tiles
- Requires pupils to use algebra tiles and mini-whitboards
- Includes many transitions to keep participants interested
- Provides ideas for differentiation