This Social Class and Fitting In lesson plan also includes:
- Reading Passage
- Join to access all included materials
Social classes may be explicitly defined as in a caste system or based more informally on such ideas as wealth or education. After reading and discussing an article about one woman's experience with trying to fit into a system different from the one in which she was raised, scholars consider how feelings of discomfort may affect performance.
- Include in the lesson Pat Mora's poem "Sonrisas"
- Have class members journal about where they see themselves on the continuum Della Mae Justice describes, or how they live in the doorway between two rooms as Pat Mora describes
- Hold a discussion about how coming from a different perspective may be useful
- Requires copies of the article about Della Mae Justice
- Some pupils may find the discussion uncomfortable
- The lesson encourages learners to consider how their background influences their point of view