This Simulation on Northern Ireland: One Step at a Time - The Derry March and Prospects for Peace activity & project also includes:
Where does tradition fit in a divided community with violence on both sides? Scholars learn about the marches in Northern Ireland and the many issues surrounding them. They take on roles in the community and try to convince others of their personal view points.
- Carefully select the personalities to match the descriptions of each group rather than handing them out randomly, as the simulation won't work as well if pacifists are in the roles of the aggressors
- Designed for 52 participants, but it still works with 28 to 90 participants
- Ideally uses multiple rooms for small group meetings as well as large group meetings
- Carefully explains multiple sides of the argument without placing judgement on anyone
- Encourages analyzing complex situations modeled after the real world
- Strengthens listening, debate, and compromise skills