This Simulation on Conflict Prevention in the Greater Horn of Africa activity & project also includes:
Is containing a conflict possible in the Horn of Africa? Young peacekeepers engage in a simulation that examines the multi-faceted conflict that exists between the countries of Ethiopia and Eritrea. Representatives from ten countries in Africa meet in hopes of keeping the conflict contained and caring for refugees of the war.
- Use the simulation as a culminating project in a study of African culture and history
- Record the meeting, then review the recording with the class and discuss some of the peace-keeping measures discussed by the committee
- Make sure participants have Internet access to perform research for their roles
- The teacher's reference materials provide support and ideas for implementing the lesson
- Emotional language and a high level of detail make the simulation very engaging and life-like