This Simple Machines lesson plan also includes:
What's the best way to use a simple machine to solve a real-world problem? Scholars construct their own simple and complex machines to explore the concepts of work and force. They discuss examples of simple machines they have found in their everyday lives. To finish, they combine their knowledge of simple machines to complete a STEM engineering design task to build a complex machine that will save a trapped wolf.
- Assign small groups one simple machine from the PowerPoint presentation and have them research real-life examples of this particular simple machine to present to the class
- Incorporate a flipped classroom strategy by assigning videos ahead of time
- Uses basic materials, but not all may be found in the typical classroom
- Provides technology integration with videos and a computer game
- Easy to break into smaller activities or complete as a whole project