This Should States Shift to Mail-In Voting during the Coronavirus Pandemic? lesson plan also includes:
With the coronavirus pausing many norms in American society, officials are trying to decide how to safely hold voting in the 2020 presidential election. Using curated video clips, including speeches from Congress, journalists, and academics, as well as discussion questions, future voters consider the arguments for and against moving to voting by mail for 2020. Extension activities include writing prompts to analyze the pros and cons.
- Use prompts to have students write persuasive essays on whether vote-by-mail should be allowed
- Develop analytical skills by viewing the arguments for and against voting by mail
- Class members need a device on which to view the video clips in the lesson
- Lesson is relevant for current election cycle
- Video clips help elevate discussion above political rhetoric