This Shapes of Molecules—Hybrid Orbitals interactive also includes:
Take your chemistry class' knowledge of molecular geometry to the next level! Introduce orbital hybridization with a series of related games. Individuals complete a data table in the first activity, then solve Sudoku-like puzzles using bond angles, geometry, and hybridization terms.
- Show a short video that includes before and after models of orbital hybridization before pupils complete the activity
- Have the class explain in their own words why hybridization occurs
- Learners should have a strong understanding of orbitals and orbital shapes before beginning hybridization
- Each puzzle is challenging and creates a strong connection between geometry and hybridization
- Students can complete the activity online or on paper