This Ruby Bridges: A Simple Act of Courage, Grades 3-5 lesson plan also includes:
Through character trait graphic organizers, a vocabulary sorting activity, class discussion, and a civil rights movement slide show, your young historians will be introduced to the amazing story of Ruby Bridges and her experiences as the first African-American child in a desegregated school.
- For the character traits segment of the lesson, consider providing sentence frames and a word list to support English language acquisition
- This is an excellent resource to supplement your Black History Month or civil rights movement curriculum
- Some suggested activities require the text Through My Eyes by Ruby Bridges; the lesson can still be adapted to your class; however, if you are not able to gain access to the text
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- All worksheets and activity materials included
- Designed specifically for several Common Core State Standards