This Rock Steady: Designing a Sensor lesson plan also includes:
Bridge young mathematicians' knowledge of engineering and design. Pupils use two desks and a plastic sheet to simulate a bridge. After learning about energy transformations, they use available materials to design a sensor that detects vibrations in the bridge.
- Invite a geologist or environmental engineer to give a presentation
- Part of the STEM SLED Design series of activities
- See the resource for a complete list of necessary materials and tools
- Includes an explanation of a real-world example
- Provides a student handout