This Remembering the Fallen lesson plan also includes:
A thought-provoking instructional activity showcases Civil War battlefield monuments to demonstrate how fallen soldiers are remembered. High school scholars compare Union and Confederate monuments to learn how each group commemorated the battles. They use group discussion, worksheets, and writing to reinforce the purpose and differences of Civil War monuments.
- Have academics create their own battlefield monuments
- Compare and contrast Civil War monuments to other war monuments
- Does not address current controversies surrounding some monuments
- Provides modifications to ensure the success of all pupils
- Multiple graphic organizers stimulate engagement with the material