Why do chemical reactions move at different rates? Chemistry scholars examine the intricate workings of reaction mechanisms with a video from the JFR Science playlist. They watch as the narrator diagrams reaction intermediates and activation energy for a variety of chemical reactions.
- Have the class describe in steps how to make a hamburger, then use their explanation as a model to help them describe reaction mechanisms
- After the video, work a few examples together to ensure pupils are on the right track
- Viewers should have prior knowledge of reaction diagrams and balanced chemical equations before getting into reaction mechanisms
- Provides an excellent demonstration of how catalysts affect chemical reactions
- Interesting examples keep learners focused and engaged