This Primary Source Worksheet: Lyndon B. Johnson and Martin Luther King Jr., Excerpt of Telephone Conversation worksheet also includes:
Imagine listening in on a conversation between President Lyndon B. Johnson and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., as Johnson outlines the support he needs from King to pass the legislation required for programs essential for "The Great Society." Provide listeners with that opportunity and give them a script of that conversation to boot.
- Use in conjunction with and after an examination of the ideas in Johnson's "Great Society" speech and ask readers to identify those same elements in this conversation
- Use the links listed below to access "The Great Society" speech
- Ask listeners to compare Johnson's tone in this conversation with the one used in the speech
- A link to an audio of the conversation is provided
- The worksheet includes reading comprehension questions and a list of activities