This Primary Source Worksheet: Excerpt of Senate Bill Proposing an End to the Slave Trade worksheet also includes:
To sign or not to sign? That is the question facing readers of the 1807 bill proposing an end to the slave trade. After a close reading of excerpts from the bill, readers are asked to advise Thomas Jefferson either to sign or reject the bill.
2 Collections 39 Views 20 Downloads
- Ask groups to investigate other Jefferson primary source documents and then characterize this famous statesman's political views
- Use the resource to model how to read informational text and primary source materials
- The photo of the document introduces young historians to some of the challenges reseachers face in trying to read original copies of primary source materials
- Text-based questions guide the close reading of the primary source
- Alas, no printed copy of the text is included in the resource