This Preserving the Memory lesson plan also includes:
Civil War battlefields themselves are under siege by development and other forces. Using materials from the Battlefield Trust, individuals explore local areas that face threat and write letters to support their preservation. An interesting video explains the importance of preserving the heritage of the Civil War.
- Develop with the class a list of local battle sites that need historic preservation
- Ask young scholars to write letters in support of preserving battlefields in your area
- Teacher may need to do additional research to guide learners in discussion about local sites
- Resource personalizes history and brings it local
- Lesson makes the content relatable and brings it to life
- Some of the included materials are above the intended grade levels