Ready to teach plate tectonics but not sure where to begin? Start with a short video that is long on learning! Junior earth scientists discover the basics of plate tectonics, complete with colorful analogies and explanations. The narrator covers subduction, divergent boundaries, and convergence.
- Use the video to kick off a plate tectonics unit
- Pass out maps and have paired pupils locate plate boundaries and theorize about the type of interaction occurring there
- Written for beginning plate tectonics students
- Comparing tectonic plates to baggage on a conveyor belt solidifies the idea that Earth's crust and mantle are in constant motion
- The simple animations are spot-on in illustrating subduction, divergence, and convergence