This Plant Phenology Data Analysis lesson plan also includes:
Scientists monitor seasonal changes in plants to better understand their responses to climate change, in turn allowing them to make predictions regarding the future. The last activity in the series of six has scholars analyze BudBurst data to determine how climate change is affecting plant phenology. They then compare historical data and their BudBurst data to NASA Normalized Difference Vegetation Index (NDVI) visuals and graphs.
- If BudBurst data has not been collected, spend some time looking at the website and discuss how this data collection is helping scientists
- Part three assumes students have been collecting BudBurst data throughout the year; if not, omit part three
- Duration of activity could be from one to three class periods depending upon length of classes and discussions
- Lesson provides background information, all directions, links to resources, individual worksheets, and extension ideas
- A great way for pupils to see how climate change affects seasonal life cycles of organisms