This Phonological Awareness: Rhyme, Rhyme Closed Sort activity also includes:
- Join to access all included materials
A rhyming activity challenges scholars to sort picture cards according to their rhyme. Four picture cards line up across the top of a pocket chart. Learners take turns choosing from a face-down stack of picture cards and sort them beneath the word with which they rhyme. Pupils practice this skill further by saying each picture's rhyming word already in that column.
- While this is most easily organized in a pocket chart, it can also be done on any flat surface
- Work with class members independently, in a small group, or in a whole group
- Requires copies and prepping cards—laminate them to permit reuse
- The activity appeals to both visual and kinesthetic learners
- There are ideas and materials here for extensions