This Phonological Awareness: Phoneme Segmenting, Say and Slide Phonemes activity also includes:
- Join to access all included materials
Develop phonological awareness using this partner activity, where scholars segment words into phonemes. Using Elkonin Box picture cards, pairs practice orally segmenting sounds and physically representing the phonemes using counters. Partner A says the word in phonemes, and Partner B repeats the phonemes as they place a chip for each below the picture.
- Challenge pupils to use the provided template to create their own Elkonin Box
- Set aside time to prepare picture cards and gather counters
- Moving chips brings a kinesthetic approach to learning
- Each picture has the exact number of phoneme boxes below it