This Phineas Gage: “Medicine: Then and Now” Pre-Reading Activity activity also includes:
- Join to access all included materials
What did medicine look like a hundred years ago? Two hundred years ago? Invite small groups to conduct research on the history of a chosen medical advancement before reading Phineas Gage: A Gruesome but True Story About Brain Science. Groups create PowerPoint presentations to share their research findings with the class.
- Consider using Google Slides or another online presentation tool instead of PowerPoint if that is available at your school; Slides will allow for more effective collaboration
- You may need to spend some time discussing with students how to interact in groups when researching and creating a single product; you may wish to assign roles to individuals
- Provides clear instructions for what to include on each slide as well as a model that pupils can refer to
- Comes with an exit ticket for learners to fill out during the presentation; this will ensure that individuals pay attention to each presentation