All you need to get through the difficult is hope. Not so, according to the Stoics. An explanatory video explains the mentality and worldview of Stoicism, including the ways that hope can hinder one's understanding, and how, despite the worst of everything, we really are going to be okay.
- Use in conjunction with other philosophers's views on happiness, particularly Epicurus and Aristotle; videos on both philosophers are available on the same playlist
- Encourage learners to react to the message of the Stoics with an argument essay or creative writing assignment
- Comment section is open to the public; while some comments are inappropriate for the classroom, others are well-considered and thought-provoking
- Pair with additional information on Stoicism to round out its worldview
- Discusses suicide in a flippant way that may be too difficult for younger learners to truly understand
- The core of stoicism is appealing to even the most cynical teenagers
- Offers philosophical insights in an engaging way