Are love and the will to life at odds? Arthur Schopenhauer's take on human nature and the importance of love—as well as the unimportance of happiness—is the focus of a philosophy video that compares Schopenhauer's worldview to Buddhism.
3 Views 0 Downloads CCSS: Adaptable
- Use in a social studies class when discussing German philosophy or the influence of Buddhism in the western world
- Have class members compare the views of Schopenhauer to his 19th century peers throughout Europe and the United States
- Discusses Schopenhauer's opinion toward sexual desire, which may not be a discussion you want to have with younger learners
- Subtitles are set to Arabic, but can be changed to several different languages
- Schopenhauer's pessimism may appeal to teenagers who currently share the same view
- Animation and pictures keep the video engaging