This Phases of Charon lesson plan also includes:
Charon, the largest of Pluto's moons, was discovered in 1978. Lesson is a walk through of how to solve for the phases of Charon. It uses two different points on Pluto and takes into account the tilt of the pole, the rotational axis, and the equatorial plane.
- Use a model of Pluto and Charon to demonstrate their relative sizes
- Requires prior knowledge of latitude, longitude, and planetary orbits
- Material is outdated; references Pluto as a planet and the hopefulness of sending a mission to the moon in 2010
- Of the six lessons in the series, this is the fourth.
- Offers a perspective many don't consider
- There is nothing for pupils to actually do, it is just reading about the topic