We are family! Why are elements in the same group so similar in many ways? Science scholars explore the relationship between valence electrons and an element's characteristics through a video from the JFR Science playlist. The narrator describes each trend and relates it to the element's subatomic composition.
- Assign the video as pre-work for a periodicity lesson
- Hand out a note organizer with space for the trends, then have pupils record notes for each
- Viewers should be comfortable using the periodic table to locate specific elements before watching the video
- Includes very thorough explanations of each periodic trend
- Diagrams the trends using the periodic table, helping learners link a trend with an element's location on the table