How do chemists know if they've done a good job performing a reaction? They use the percent yield equation! Introduce the calculation that often determines success (or otherwise) in the lab with a short video. The narrator explains actual versus theoretical yields, demonstrates the calculation, and examines the results.
- Pause the video strategically to allow the class to try the calculations on their own
- Discuss reasons why actual yields are often less than theoretical yields
- Students should be familiar with stoichiometric calculations before calculating percent yield
- Focuses on interpreting the language of the problem, an essential skill in stoichiometry
- Narrator explains the concepts using correct terms and good examples