This Pedigrees and the Inheritance of Lactose Intolerance activity also includes:
What, exactly, causes lactose intolerance? Scholars view a video describing a Finnish study that determined why some people are tolerant while others are intolerant. They then use the data from the study to reenact the experiment and make conclusions about the genetics of the trait.
- Prior to the activity, have pupils take a poll inquiring about lactose intolerance to establish its prevalence
- Have learners view the video as homework and use class time to complete the activity portion of the lesson
- Expects a strong understanding of the composition of DNA
- Includes student resources in both Spanish and English
- Provides a link to additional information to continue studying the concept