This Osmosis and Dialysis lesson plan also includes:
How do you engage pupils in a discussion about osmosis without leaving them overwhelmed? By providing them with the tools to perform an exciting experiment, and they will see osmosis in action! Young chemists and biologists use a potato and common reagents to demonstrate osmosis, while relating this action to kidney dialysis and problems that can occur when the body does not adequately remove wastes.
- Be sure to post safety rules at each lab station
- Certain reagents are toxic if ingested, so use care while performing lab
- Iodine will stain hands; consider providing gloves
- Simple experiment, yet applicable and engaging due to the integration of the dialysis piece
- The nine-page packet comes with procedures, lab safety rules, student worksheets, and lab sheets for both the osmosis and dialysis portions of the resource
- Assessment contains numerous open-ended questions and could be challenging for ESL learners