This Organic Formulae 2 interactive also includes:
Is your chemistry class frustrated by the multitude of representations of organic molecules? Add some challenging puzzles to an otherwise ho-hum organic lesson and let the fun begin! The second of a two-part activity focused on basic hydrocarbon formulas adds skeletal formulas to the mix.
- Use the interactive to incorporate the skeletal formula of basic hydrocarbons into an organic lesson
- Ask the class to create their own puzzles using similar information for other simple hydrocarbons
- Schedule time in the computer lab so each student can complete the activity
- A brief introduction to the concept of skeletal formulas before beginning the lesson would be helpful
- Supportive teacher's guide includes an answer key and the puzzles in print form
- Users relate several different representations of each hydrocarbon during the lesson, which helps build a well-rounded background in organic chemistry