This One Land, Many Trails: English Language Development Lessons (Theme 5) unit plan also includes:
English is not the only subject that requires its own set of vocabulary words—geography does too! A series of language development lessons designed to be used with Theme 5: One Land, Many Trails helps introduce readers to key vocabulary words and other word parts. Through guided activities, readers develop a stronger understanding of texts as they complete the second installment of the three-part series.
- Browse through magazines to find additional pictures to add to the stages of life activity
- Make your own class set of picture word cards with index cards and photographs from magazines or the Internet
- Laminate the picture word cards to make them easier to handle and to last through multiple uses
- Scaffolds learning to help connect with students at beginning, early production, and intermediate/advanced levels
- Uses a variety of instructional strategies including picture walks and visual timelines
- References audio and CD-ROM versions of text that may not be easily accessible