This On the Verge of Displacement lesson plan also includes:
By having scholars tackle this interdisciplinary lesson, they'll see how social studies and environmental science are related as they explore the impact that the construction of a dam will have on the population and ecosystem of the Omo River Valley in Ethiopia. The anchor source is a photo gallery that serves as a springboard for discussion and then persuasive writing.
- Have scholars find and describe other examples of construction projects that have impacted or might impact long-standing communities, cultural practices, and ecosystems
- Collaborate with a science teacher to do this lesson as the students are learning about ecosystems, hydroelectricity, or climate change
- To have the students view the photo galleries on their own in class, they'll need Internet-enabled devices
- Writing prompts give students a great opportunity to write practical pieces aimed at real-world audiences
- Helpful external links are provided for further research
- The discussion prompts include thoughtful questions about the nature of photographs as agents of change