This "Ode to the Only Black Kid in the Class" by Clint Smith instructional video also includes:
An animated interpretation of Clint Smith's poem "Ode to the Only Black Kid in the Class" explores the stereotypes Black Americans encounter.
3 Views 0 Downloads CCSS: Adaptable
- Begin by asking class members to journal about expectations placed on them just because they are tall, short, blonde, an athlete, etc.
- Have groups create an animation or a storyboard for one of their favorite poems
- To extend the lesson, challenge pupils to investigate the many references in the poem
- Part of the "There's a Poem for That" series
- Includes a link to an interview with the poet