This Non-Point Source Pollution activity & project also includes:
Investigate the different types of pollution that storm drain runoff carries into oceans, lakes, rivers, and streams with this class demonstration. Using an aquarium and an assortment of everyday items that contaminants like motor oil, fertilizer, trash, and natural debris, students observe how rain water washes all of those materials into larger bodies of water.
- This eye opening activity would make a great addition to a lesson series on the impact of pollution on ecosystems, or as a stand-alone Earth Day demonstration
- Includes a clear procedure for carrying out the demonstration
- Offers a variation to the activity that focuses on how to remove pollutants from water
- A series of questions are included for guiding a discussion during and after the demonstration
- Demonstration requires materials not typically found in the classroom