How can people learn to spot viral deception? Players do just that with the NewsFeed Defenders media literacy game. Scholars choose avatars and the focus of their news feeds: student life, health and wellness, or sports and entertainment. Their mission is to maintain a credible news site. They learn how to spot fake news, identify bias, and uphold the journalistic standards of accuracy, transparency, trustworthiness, impartiality, and focus.
- Break the class into small groups and have each one design a poster to explain one of the rules of journalistic integrity
- Register for a free account to save progress
- Actual time required may vary
- Students can activate helpful tips as they play
- Teaches critical 21st-century skills in a fun, interactive way