This Nature: Friend and Foe: Extra Support Lessons (Theme 6) unit also includes:
Breaking down words into syllables has two benefits: it improves vocabulary and it improves understanding of a text. The third and final resource in a series of materials designed to be used with Nature: Friend or Foe offers extra support lessons which incorporate vocabulary activities and reading comprehension strategies. These lessons make it easier to scaffold instruction for struggling learners.
- Add words from activities to a classroom word wall to improve retention
- Give worksheets before completing a larger activity on the text to provide a context for reading
- Requires a basic understanding of what a syllable is and how to break up words into syllables
- Teaches vocabulary concepts in the context of a text
- Uses graphic organizers to improve reading comprehension
- Only offers worksheets related to select concepts; it would benefit from offering worksheets for all of the concepts