This Nanotechnology Invention and Design: Phase Changes, Energy, and Crystals lesson plan also includes:
What does it take to be considered a smart material? Learners investigate the properties of Nitinol, a smart material, through a hands-on lab activity. They examine the crystal lattice structure and the conditions required for Nitinol to change and remember its shape.
- Review important vocabulary prior to the experiment
- Collect and prepare necessary materials prior to the activity
- Conduct the experiment yourself first to help anticipate any pupil struggles
- Includes a sample answer key
- Provides questioning strategies to use throughout the lesson