Take your knowledge of monopolies off the board game and into economic concepts with an engaging video from Crash Course Economics. It explains the philosophy behind government regulations of monopolies and horizontal integration, the difference between patent law and monopolies, and the instances in which monopolies can actually benefit society.
- Have learners choose one of the businessmen or industries to research
- Encourage class members to investigate examples of price discrimination in the modern economy that are not mentioned in the video
- Prompt individuals to watch the video at home and come to class prepared for discussion
- Comment section is open to the public and may contain language that is not appropriate for the classroom
- The 25th video in a series of 35 about economics
- Uses an applicable example (food trucks) to illustrate the basic concept of monopolies
- Covers a variety of economics concepts, including anti-trust laws and deregulation, which would pertain to a US History class as well