This Molecules in Motion lesson plan also includes:
I heard that oxygen and magnesium were going out and I was like "O Mg." Pupils experiment with adding food coloring to water of various temperatures in order to determine how temperature impacts molecular movement. This is the second of five science lesson plans on molecules designed for the seventh grade.
- Use a hot plate to boil water, starting it before the class arrives, so they can see the movement the heat causes
- Connect the idea of water expanding to air expanding with heat using the example of a car or bike tires
- Be aware of any allergies to food dyes
- This lesson uses the 5E model
- Provides answer key
- Oversimplification of some concepts may cause confusion later