This Molecule Shapes interactive also includes:
The shape of a molecule is determined by the arrangement of atoms around the central atom and lone pairs of electrons. Scholars build models of molecules using single, double, and triple bonds. They can then see real molecules bond types, their shapes, the bond angle, and both the molecular and electron geometry.
- Have learners draw predictions about what real molecules look like and then compare to the simulation
- Teachers can register for a free account and gain access to lesson plans, teacher tips, and a video primer
- Assumes classes have knowledge about valence electrons, electron shells, and formation of bonds
- Simulation is easy to use
- Graphics are high quality and engaging
- Models are 3-D and can be manipulated to see them at all angles