This Molecular Genetics of Color Mutations in Rock Pocket Mice activity & project also includes:
Can you identify mutations just by viewing DNA sequences? Scholars apply prior knowledge of DNA sequences to do just that in an engaging activity. They transcribe and translate genes, thus identifying the locations of mutations. Then, they answer questions relating amino acids to proteins.
- Share a video about color mutations in pocket mice, if scholars aren't familiar with the example used in the activity
- Review the difference between the three main mutation types: substitution, insertion, and deletion
- Relies on prior knowledge of genes, proteins, molecular genetics, transcription, translation, amino acids, and the function of amino acids
- Provides two different levels of materials depending on the needs of your class
- Includes answer keys for easier grading