This Modeling Trophic Cascades activity & project also includes:
In the ecological game of who eats who, one small change can have a big impact! Individuals create food chains in an array of ecosystems, then determine what happens to organisms in the chain when one organism changes its feeding behavior. The helpful teacher's guide contains tips for implementing the lesson and expansion strategies.
- Use the activity as a review game or formative check at the midpoint of an ecology unit
- Attach self-adhesive magnets to the backs of activity cards and have pupils construct their food chains on the whiteboard
- Make color copies of activity cards and laminate them to prevent wear and tear and to permit reuse
- The activity allows pupils to model many different terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems
- You can make the lesson a timed game for a fun twist