This Modeling the Regulatory Switches of the Pitx1 Gene in Stickleback Fish activity & project also includes:
Gene switches work similarly to light switches in controlling one feature of their environments. Scholars study the Pitx1 gene in a specific type of fish. They learn the different ways this switch controls various body parts and functions and apply this knowledge to determining the evolution of switches in fish over millions of years.
- Share the short film, The Making of the Fittest, before starting the lesson as it is required throughout
- Relies on prior knowledge of basic genetics, lac operons, trp operons, genetic variation, natural selection, and evolution
- Designed for advanced scholars in AP, IB, or college-level courses
- Provides a complete answer key to each part of the lesson
- Offers teacher tips to help implement each section