Few first lines of literature are as well-known as the first line from Moby Dick by Herman Melville. Readers discover the classic text that contains these lines using a digital eBook. The online version contains page-by-page navigation and the ability to zoom in on the text.
- Have students write one-sentence summaries of each chapter as they finish them
- Encourage learners to add illustrations to the text as they read
- Page numbers in the digital version are about 10 pages off from the numbers on the actual book pages
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Animation makes pages look like the pages of a real book as they turn
- Chapters are labeled with numbers and titles
- When zoomed in, it is difficult for an entire page to fit on a screen, so users must scroll to read the text