This Missing Pieces of the Puzzle: African Americans in Revolutionary Times lesson plan also includes:
What's missing from most studies of the American Revolutionary War is information about the role African Americans played in the conflict. To correct this oversight, middle schoolers research groups like the Black Loyalists and Black Patriots, as well as individuals like Prince Hall and Colonel Tye. Class members then create a giant poster that displays their research.
- Display the puzzle as part of Black History Month celebrations
- Although focused on events in North Carolina, the activity is appropriate for any study of the Revolutionary War or Black History Month
- An editable version of the PPT is available on request
- The activity draws attention to the contributions of and the challenges faced by blacks during the American Revolutionary War
- The template for the puzzle pieces is not included