How do you dispel misconceptions about heat? Bake a cake! Using an infrared thermometer, the narrator discloses heat's true nature to unsuspecting beach-goers, as well as to his mother. Our sense of touch misleads us into measuring heat by feeling rather than reasoning.
- Recreate the demonstration for the class using non-edibles
- Use the video to start a discussion about thermal conductivity
- Ask a few questions about metals and nonmetals before watching the video to determine the class' level of understanding
- Content is easy to relate to for learners of all levels
- The narrator provides evidence to further back up his explanation of why we feel cold or hot when we touch objects