This MinuteEarth: The Story of Our Planet video also includes:
Planet Earth has come a long way from its dramatic beginnings. How long did all of these changes take? Science sleuths unravel the often-tangled timeline of our progress from single-celled sea creatures to world-traveling homo sapiens in an entertaining video. The narrator discusses the fickle nature of progress—sometimes slow, sometimes rapid, but generally unpredictable.
- Show the video to introduce a lesson on Earth's history
- Have pupils brainstorm other events that illustrate progress, such as the Industrial Revolution or the Space Race
- Presents the resource as an introduction to Earth's history, so it does not require any prior knowledge
- Relates each event in terms of hair growth, such as the amount of time it took the oceans to form being likened to a person's hair growing around the world- twice
- The animations are funny but very useful for demonstrating the appearance of trade routes and the spread of disease