Objection! Scholars participate in a mock trial to gain an understanding the ins and outs of court procedures. Using the Jessie Jones v. Palm City court case, they role play each specific part of the trial, learning how courts operate and juries decide their rulings.
- Invite a local judge or attorney into the classroom as a guest speaker on trials
- Include a field trip to a local court room to experience the roles different people play in a trial
- If filming the mock trial, parents must sign a video permission slip
- Resource provides narratives for all witnesses to follow in the trial
- Lesson includes score sheet for teacher use
- Mock Trial contest occurred in 2018, so teachers must adapt the materials for classroom use