This Methane Hydrates – What's the Big Deal? lesson plan also includes:
Have you ever tried to light ice on fire? With methane hydrate, you can do exactly that. The ice forms with methane inside so it looks like ice, but is able to burn. The instructional activity uses group research and a hands-on activity to help scholars understand what methane hydrate is and how it could either help us or harm the planet — scientists still aren't completely sure.
- Co-teach with a math teacher for the portion that requires building a pentagonal dodecahedron
- Requires art supplies including Styrofoam balls, skewers, spray paint, and fishing lines
- Lesson is the first in a series of 16
- Includes a large number of related lessons, links, and resources
- Relates the topic to various ways it could influence pupils personally
- Can easily adapt to higher or lower ability classes