This Melting Ice: Designing an Experiment lesson plan also includes:
Sometimes, despite the best laid plans, the unexpected will occur. Learners witness this firsthand as they carefully design an experiment to determine the time needed for ice to melt in salt water or pure water. They uncover facts not known at the beginning of the activity to further comprehend how learning new technology allows scientists to better understand the past, present, and predict the future.
- Have the class design an additional experiment to test the theory presented in this lesson; ensure they follow the scientific method
- Instruct pupils to research the Big Bang Theory and how it relates to what they learned in this lesson
- Prepare materials ahead of time and ensure ice cubes remain frozen until it is time for the experiment
- Experiment is conducted over the course of one class period and may be modified or expanded
- Hands-on application engages pupils of all learning styles and fosters imagination as they uncover new developments while conducting the activity