This Measure the Diameter of the Sun activity & project also includes:
Measuring the diameter of the sun may get a little heated, but using an indirect approach can help individuals keep their cool. Learners use the reflection of the sun to measure how long it takes for it to move one diameter. Using the velocity, they then calculate just how big the sun really is.
- Repeat the experiment at different times during the day or year and compare results
- Have pupils make their calculations to compare with the actual values, then suggest possible causes in variation
- Requires the use of mathematical formulas and calculations
- Appropriate for different grade levels
- Offers step-by-step guidance